Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Paris...

My Paris by Gail Scott was definitely an interesting read. I was almost structured in some kind of order but that order escapes me. I know it wasn't chronological, nor was it event oriented, but it still had a certain kind of flow that was easy to follow. Perhaps Topical? Is that a word?

The piece was written almost exclusively in stage directions. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but there was no a single line of dialog. The author was able to elude to dialog however whenever the main characters ("S" or "C") had something to say.

I'm not sure if there's some kind of connection, but it seemed like each sentence had a word that was taken out of it. Perhaps we've just been reading too much poetry and I'm attempting to find some kind of pattern in everything I read now, but I wasn't able to find anything with missing words. Perhaps I'm just not putting the correct words into it?

The story seems to show the narrator becoming more and more french throughout the story. Perhaps it is chronological, but being the stranger in a strange land goes out the window around the third part. Then at the end, she's the insider gossiping at parties. It was however quite confusing... this has been my first experience with this type of writing.

No one...

No comments:

Post a Comment